Thursday, February 24, 2005

Conservatives and Social Change

I ran across this article, and was intrigued. I appreciate the calmness of tone, and the apparent willingness to debate and explore ideas. I know that for many groups on the Left, this may seem like an end run around cherished and strongly held beliefs. I disagree. I think this sort of group actually shows the effectiveness of what we have believed and articulated for so long. That a woman's group could form and traces it's roots to both Conservatism AND Feminism is a testimony to the struggle that so many women engaged in.


That got me thinking about SRRT. It seems to me that SRRT is too inbred. That so many of them have the same viewpoint and aim is actually harmful to them in the long run. An infusion of new blood is good, however unappreciated. This is not to excuse the actions of some that I have seen on there whose intent, as far as I can tell, is NOT to find a Conservative path for Social Responsibilities and libraries, but simply to destroy it using a "heckler's veto". New viewpoints that combine Social Responsibility with Conservatism, however, can only be a good thing. And perhaps, if any of the "old guard" pay attention, they might find themselves intellectually engaged and learn something along the way.


I've been toying with the idea of finally joining ALA and SRRT. Perhaps now is the time. I am not a Conservative, by any means. But, hopefully, I could add a voice that is willing to listen. I also have some ideas on how we can improve conditions and mobility for our un-degreed colleagues.


"N.E.W." does not stand for "No Education for Women," the "Network of Eventual Wives" or "Nuts for the Elimination of Women."


N.E.W. stands for the Network of Enlightened Women.


N.E.W. is a group of young women who quietly gather in the basement of one of Mr. Jefferson's pavilions on Wednesday nights. We sit around a table, eat chocolate chip cookies and carry pink binders with our agendas. We discuss our position as women in society. We acknowledge and appreciate that we have more opportunities than any other generation of American women.


So why all the fear of us?"


The Cavalier Daily (University of Virginia)