Thursday, November 04, 2004

Church, State and a cool website

With the election just past... and a pretty grim Tuesday it was for me... I got to thinking even more about the separation of Church and State. In the process of knocking around the internet, I found a pretty nifty site that contains a ton of U.S. historical documents (I wonder how many digital images and e-text it would take to make a ton?). You can find them at the Avalon Project at Yale Law School.

Thomas Jefferson's Notes on the State of Virginia

"The rights of conscience we never submitted, we could not submit. We are answerable for them to our God. The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

Thomas Jefferson

To my mind, this applies directly to the question of Gay marriage. Gay marriage is not injurious to anyone. The primary opposition to gay marriage is based upon religious belief... and that is not an issue that Government should address.