Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Greg's response

Greg, at Shush, very nicely sent me a reply. I've posted the response in it's entirety.

Robert,

Kerry didn't say if this guy was an American citizen or not so let me first say that if he's not then the Bill of Rights doesn't even apply to him, tough noogies.

Where in the Consititution do you find that due process can't be suspended in a time of war? The Constitution says who can start one and who's in charge when a war is going on but it doesn't much get into the rules of war in general. Do I think due process should be suspended in a time of war? Depends on the severity of the war. I would be fascinated to see you and others living during WWII when lights had to be out at a certain time and German subs were off our coastline. I'm willing to bet there was more than a few violations of due process not counting the Japanese camps. In this case I'm willing to wait and see.

The fact is somebody went a whole 8 months without due process. That means that after 8 months he did get to see a lawyer. The fact that a single individual went 8 months without due process does not carry more weight than the fact that there were terrorists who lived this country and plotted and then succeeded in killing 3,000 of us; and there are still terrorists in this country still plotting to do more of the same.

We have people in this country that hate this President so much they'll fake documents to make him look bad and turn library conventions into DNC pep rallys. If lack of due process gets out of hand I'm sure we'll hear about it. Right now I'm not hearing enough to worry.

Greg
SHUSH

On a side note, I don't know if I knew you were Twisted Librarian and forgot or what but I was surprised when I saw your tag. Good luck with it, I'll add you to the liberal end :)