Saturday, September 25, 2004

Mud Flies, Books Fly Off Shelves

Mud Flies, Books Fly Off Shelves

Note: you'll have to register (for free) in order to read the entire article.


Osnos writes: "Attack advertising in politics is hardly innovative. But in this year's election, attack books have added a significant new factor to the shrillness of presidential campaigning. Get used to it."

And.... "Are these books any good? As in all media, there is a spectrum from brilliant to awful. But standards for books are different from, say, newspaper standards. The biggest sin for a book writer is plagiarism (when it is uncovered). Rarely does a book get discredited for mere exaggeration or distortion. Outright falsehoods are frowned upon, of course. But short of that, anything seems to go in books"



Now, I've got to admit that I've read a few of them. Plenty of red meat. So much so, that if you read enough of them you'd probably end up with BSE and your brain resembling Swiss Cheese. I've read Franken and Moore. I tried to read Coulter, Hannity, Savage and Oreilly, but being a good Lefty, I couldn't do much more than skim them for a few minutes before I got too frustrated. I'm sure Righties have the same problems with Moore and Franken.

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that they are all bad children. Very, very bad children. And the need to be spanked. With a paddle. I'm volunteering to spank Bill O'Reilly. Get him over my knee and spank him until tears come running down his face and he finally admits that he is Conservative and that the "No Spin Zone" has one word too many.